BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, March 14, 2010

"Living on borrowed time..."




It has occurred to me for many years that I am on borrowed time. As a child, I had my stomach pumped three times. Roach poison, rat poison and a bottle of baby aspirin. Hearing those stories early on gave me an indication that God wasn't finished with me yet...

After high school graduation, I went with 3 families and kids to Acapulco. It was summer and their rainy season, so although it was raining, we decided to go swimming any way. Unbeknownst to us, the flag out was the 'no swimming' flag since a huge storm was just off the coast. We were immediately sucked out to sea by the undertow. We kept trying to swim back, but the waves were getting higher and higher. I was no novice at this, since my family went to the Texas beach every weekend, but the waves became 15 - 20 feet high, and it took all my breath to dive through them. They would pick me up and then roll me underwater, and I didn't know which way was up to swim to... I was 18 years old, and young and healthy, but I lost all my energy and couldn't make it in. I remember thinking that it would be a painless way to die, because I would just lose my breath and that would be it. All of a sudden, my friend's younger brother (age 16) hooked his arm around my neck and in nothing short of a miracle pulled me to shore. He dumped me on the sand and tried to save another man out there, but unfortunately it was too late - he had drowned... I didn't even have the energy to sit up. I just lay there. My friend (who was on the swim team) had just gotten in too, and we realized that we had come so close...
I'm not even going to count my emergency caesarean with my middle child, although if I had not been in a hospital, we both would not be here. In 2006, my mammogram showed a problem. After a biopsy, the doctors determined it was early stage breast cancer. I opted to have a lumpectomy, where they put a BB as a placer where it was, and they took that area out. I then got the phone call that they missed the BB... Two weeks later, I had to have a second lumpectomy; they got the marker this time and all the area around it, and it was GONE. I was on every prayer list I could think of, and it was gone. Borrowed time.
And last year, my youngest and I were on one of Texas' biggest interstates just north of San Antonio. I was on my cell phone and saw rain ahead so told my friend I was getting off. At that moment, I went into a 70 mph spin in the MIDDLE of the interstate. It usually is packed with 18 wheelers and my truck is out of control in a spin. I'm looking all around to see who will crash into us, and miraculously no one was close. Our spin gets a wider and wider circumference in the pouring rain and we are still out of control. We spin into the median (which I see has 2' weeds, so I was hoping it would slow us down, but didn't.) As we are just about to go into oncoming traffic on the other side of the interstate, I see an 18 wheeler in the lane I'm about to go into, and he cannot move over since a vehicle is along side him in the other lane. My truck comes to a stop literally 2 feet from the 18 wheeler going by..... I had been breaking the entire time, and brakes were locked. Something else stopped my car, and I knew a miracle had just happened. Once again, borrowed time.
I realize that God has saved me many, many times, and He still has a mission for me. It's whatever He wants me to do.
You see, I'm on borrowed time...

0 comments: