BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, February 20, 2010

"The miracle is this - the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy



A few years ago I had a big birthday and was rather depressed in anticipation of it. For years I had said that I wanted to be out of the country on that day but I settled for the next best thing. To be on the beach in Laguna Beach, yes, heaven on earth. I had visited there in my twenties and remembered it as paradise.
So we loaded up the truck for our road trip and headed west. Growing up our family vacations were always road trips, usually to Colorado. I wanted my kids to have road trip memories too.

When we arrived in San Diego, we just kept heading west as I knew we'd eventually end up at the Pacific Ocean. It was Point Loma - postcard gorgeous. We stayed on the marina, and the next day, on my actual birthday, went to Laguna Beach, as that was my dream. (sigh) I must admit, that although Laguna Beach was still beautiful, I was no longer young and pretty with the guys checking me out... The beach just isn't the same when you get older.
The next day was my youngest daughter's day - Disneyland. (We each had a destination we wanted to visit; the last few days my oldest's choice was shopping on Rodeo Drive and Robertson Blvd.) Anyway, it was going to be a mom/giving day to build memories for them to have the rest of their lives. What I didn't expect was how much I would love it. My father hated theme parks so consequently we never got to go to Disneyland. But most of my friends had gone, and I'd heard stories all my life. And, like most other Baby Boomers, I watched 'the Wonderful World of Disney' every Sunday night.
When we walked into Disneyland, it was immediately magical. It was gorgeous and colorful and not a spec of trash. The weather was perfect. The parade, which they do every single day, was beyond my expectations. And the fireworks finale - indescribable. I've seen some cool fireworks in my life, but these were leagues ahead. Each ride we rode, like the teacups and It's a small world was an out of body experience! Pirates of the Caribbean! Haunted House! Surreal like a really good dream. I looked around and noticed that the Baby Boomers were wearing Mickey Mouse ears more than the kids. It really IS the 'Happiest Place on Earth.' And then I realized....
It truly IS better to give than to receive.

0 comments: