BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, February 1, 2010

"Mean people suck..."


Maybe it's just a Monday, but mean people suck...
I am a salesperson. I have been for many years. I figured out a long time ago that 10% of the people are really nice, 10% are really mean, and everyone else falls in between. It used to be that the nice 10% made up for the mean 10%, but the percentages have changed.

Is it just the town I work in, or are people a lot meaner these days? I realize that I work in a town with a huge percent of retired people, or maybe it's the synergy or the Law of Attraction, but meaness attracts meaness. Maybe it's because the economy is the worst since the Great Depression. Maybe it's because fewer people are working and everyone's dollar is stretched super thin. But I'm in the same boat as everyone else and I still try to be kind and follow the Golden Rule. I mean how hard is it to smile or hold the door for someone?
No one has any manners anymore. Civility is gone. I was waiting in line at the checkout of a bookstore the other day, and a guy who looked 17 to 20 was with his girlfriend and kept burping ON her. He would then blow it in her face. And he couldn't care less that it was offensive to the rest of us.
I visit Austin a lot too, and I guess there are just too many people in too small of an area, but drivers are crazy mean, and cut you off, and flip you off and this is de rigueur. I guess the 'Practice Random Acts of Kindness' bumper stickers aren't working...
It's become a dog eat dog world - it's an eat or be eaten mentality. People don't care about other people any more. Recently they showed a clip on TV in an American city where a guy got hit by a car and left for dead in the middle of the street. NO ONE went out to help him! Wherever that was, I don't even want to visit.
I've decided that I'm going to keep on being nice.... because it's the right thing to do.
And maybe it will be contagious to someone else...
And when night falls, I can look myself in the mirror....
Have a nice day.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Mama. I'm sorry people are mean to you. I bet it's that 10% that get into Heaven. I want to be part of the 10%. I think if you really want to stand out in this world be really, genuinely nice. Everyone remembers when they are shown great kindness.