BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, June 7, 2010

Summertime... and the living is



I love this time of year... When I start missing the sixties (and yes, I was very young) all I have to do is wait for the Kerrville Folk Festival, and it's my 60's fix. All of the old hippies and young hippie-wannabe's start rolling into Kerrville in their old VW buses, and new VW beetles. The old ones wear tie-dye and the young ones, well, they try to dress as crazy as possible.

During the 2 1/2 week stretch that starts Memorial Day weekend, there is ALWAYS some rain, and this year was no exception. Last week, Kerrville had a killer storm with one of those super-duper weather cells with 70 mph wind. On Facebook, everyone was talking about how their electricity was out, satellites were out, fences blown down, roofs blown off, and huge trees down everywhere. The next day, yes, there were huge trees down about every 30 feet. It was HUGE. I'll bet it was crazy scary out at the Quiet Valley Ranch where they have the Folk Festival.
I've actually never gone, though I think I might try it sometime. It's not as hippie as it used to be, which I'm not sure is a good thing. It's sort of an annual Texas Woodstock, or as close as we'll ever come but in the last few years, there are all those 'beautiful people' coming looking for 'the Next Best Thing,' and then it loses it's flavor. I may not be a hippie, but I respect someone who doesn't care about being like everyone else and is non-comformist. I've noticed that now that a liberal is in office, most of the political bumper stickers on these folks' cars have come off, as they were all pretty much Bush-haters, and they united over hating him and the war. Now that President O is in office, you don't hear much about the war anymore. They're not even protesting the big oil leak, which is a huge environmental issue, but it proves again, that it's not about the actual issue. It's about an 'us vs. them' attitude. The Have's vs. the Have Not's. Or something.
Oh well, we've all got 'bigger fish to fry' now. Who has time to save the whales when the world's financial system is teetering on collapse?
I'm trying to not think about all the bad stuff going on. I'm  just trying to enjoy summer.
Oh, and watch the hippies drive in....

0 comments: