BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, September 3, 2011

"7 Days in Utopia"


Tonight I saw the movie, "7 Days in Utopia," and it did not disappoint. Last summer in my little town in the Texas hill country, we heard they were filming a movie on a new book, "Golf's Sacred Journey, Seven Days at the Links in Utopia." It was written by a friend of DD's father, Dr. David Cook, who is a psychologist to super athletes, and evidently they come from miles around to have an appointment with him. David's daughter was in DD's dance class, so I got to meet him and his wife, and they are some of the nicest people I've ever met.

Anyway.
They had an all-call for anyone that wanted to be an extra in the movie, so it was great fun to see familiar faces in the crowd, not to mention all the familiar places around here! The movie truly captures our way of life here in the Texas hill country, and being a 5th generation Texan, it made me proud.
Of course after "Lonesome Dove," Texans call Robert Duvall one of our own. He SO reminds me of my mother's father with that cute twinkle in his eye... When I started reading the book, I knew that he was MEANT for that part. It is men like him that made me move to this town - those types are the salt of the earth and make this world a better place. The river scene looks like this entire area (except that it hasn't rained since they filmed last summer, so the rivers are drying up.) My family's ranch that my great grandfather bought, is right down the street from Utopia, so many childhood memories in these parts. The porch scene is actually a Bed & Breakfast in our town, (DD's 7th grade cheer photos were taken on the bridge on the property and we took family Christmas photos there a few years ago) and the gorgeous new golf course is at the edge of town. It's a movie with A List actors, gorgeous scenery and a meaningful script with no gratuitous sex or cussing that shows the wonderful metaphor of golf and life's successes. Go see it - you'll be glad you did.
It will make you want a new pair of boots...

0 comments: