BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, August 12, 2010

"We can't all be heroes, because somebody has to sit on the curb and applaud when they go by." - Will Rogers


Wow, in one of the best "Take this job and shove it" moments in recent history, Steven Slater has captured the heart of overworked Americans. With most of us doing tons more work for way less money, Slater's action was vicarious to people like me, who can only fantasize about going out in a blaze of glory. Almost everyone I know is overworked and underpaid, and I'm not blaming it on all the bosses, as they are now dealing with the 'powers that be' - as Bush's tax cuts are phasing out, and huge Obamacare costs are phasing in. I liken it to the child's game, "musical chairs," where they march around a circle of chairs to music, and when the song stops, another chair has been pulled out of the game, and everyone scrambles to find a chair. The country is in slow-motion free fall, and this administration keeps making the polar opposite choice of what is best for business in America.

Steven Slater had finally had enough. He grabbed the microphone, yelled some F-bombs over the speaker, grabbed a few beers, pulled the shoot, and slid to his retirement.
When I first saw the story on the internet, I tried to imagine what it was like to be a passenger on the plane. And once I had realized that we were all still safe, then I probably would've laughed really hard. I'm sure the passengers knew immediately that they had a funny story to tell their co-workers. And now, news stations are clamoring to get him as a guest. Flight attendant associations are offering him legal service. And I'm sure Hollywood will come calling soon.
Slater will go in the 'Shove it' Hall of Fame, and might even become a verb, like "I think I'm going to Slater."
It's the American way...

0 comments: