BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, June 30, 2011

"Find a job you like and add 5 days to every week."


I want to run away for awhile, with my family of course. I want to take a year off and live in a different state and evaluate my life. I, like the majority of others, never had a plan and just sort of fell into whatever I was doing. As a Baby Boomer female, I was never encouraged to do anything but "marry a rich man." My parents never really assessed my talents and abilities, nor directed me to a certain path. I'm not mad about that, just stating the facts. I never had a burning desire to do anything when I was young except to have children. Looking back on it, I always gravitated to the Communication School at UT, so at least I got that right. I started in journalism, which is what I thought was a good choice for me, but all the uber liberal professors mocked me and said I'd never fit in; that I was too conservative... They said that "people like me" would be good in public relations and marketing. Stupid me, I took their advice and got an Advertising major and Marketing minor. Pppsshhhtt, that and two bucks will get you a cup of coffee... I then decided that working in an advertising agency would be fun, and in retrospect, see now that it was my creative bent that spurred me to this. And advertising was one of the fields at that time opening up to women, after teaching and nursing. An internship became available at the Daily Texan, (UT's campus newspaper.) I got accepted, later was on the advertising staff, and then newspapers were the ones that wanted to hire me since I had experience. (sigh) I'm so bored with it now. I REALLY want to write, and keep offering to write (free) stories for the newspaper I work for, but my boss always says no. I finally have a burning desire to do something - write - and would like a way to figure out how to do it for a living. I mean the highlight of my day is blogging. It's no chore for me, I love it. I think if you don't do what God created you to do, you will never be fulfilled (or happy.) Sure we can all fall into things and keep doing them because it's the best money we can make, but are we happy? Truly happy?

Better the one who starts at a young age doing what they love...


0 comments: