BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

"Live fast, love hard, die young..."


Just a note to say that I have observed that my children's generation does everything on steroids. Everything is over the top these days. And I mean everything. They can't just decorate their house for Christmas. No, it has to have a theme. It has to be all out. They all watch HGTV and the food channels. I haven't found many in that generation that don't. And everything has to beat their friends, neighbors, whoever. It's all a competition now. No one can sit back and be simple. Life just moves really fast these days, and no one just relaxes. It reminds me of an old movie quote, "Live hard, die young and be a good-looking corpse" or something like that.

I tried to tell my 30 something co-worker today how life used to be so much simpler and easier and less stressful 30 years ago. No one was struggling like they do now or worrying like they are now. When I started my first job in advertising in Dallas in the late 70's, the question was, "Would you like a full page or a double-truck?" (sigh) Life was so sane back then, and not because I was younger. It's like the earth is spinning faster and faster. I feel like we're on a merry-go-round that is speeding up rather than slowing down. Like you want to throw up. I just long for more relaxed times when you could go outside and play. When you had time to stare at the stars. When everything wasn't a stupid contest to beat someone else. I wonder if they are happier in third world countries where they don't have all of this stress? We've become so independent here in America, we're all living in separate houses, trying to connect with electronics. Maybe in Africa they are all running free. I don't know. I just think it's gone too far.
It's like we need a reset button...

0 comments: