BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, November 10, 2011

"He that will learn to pray, let him go to sea."


There is no way you can understand the seriousness of this photo unless you've been in a huge wave. This was Russian Roulette. This was a gamble with his life. This was a 50/50 chance that this surfer, this VERY experienced surfer from Hawaii that travels the world over in search of killer waves, would even LIVE through this gynormous 90 ft. (about 9 stories) wave in Portugal.

One of the closest times I've beaten death was in Acapulco just after I graduated from high school. I was with several families and it was the rainy season, and unbeknownst to us, there was a typhoon off of the coast. We, being stupid kids, decided to go swimming. The storm came in with a fury and sucked us out to sea. The undertow kept us out, and I used up all of my energy trying to get back in. That's when the waves became 3 stories high, and as these massive waves were forming so completely high (and thick) all I could do was try to dive through them. Having gone to the beach every weekend from Spring break to Labor Day, I have a great respect for the ocean and am an experienced swimmer. But my energy soon wore out, and these killer waves would pick me up and drop me, and I would roll and roll and roll, until I lost all breath and didn't know which was was up, literally. I remember thinking that I was going to die, and it would be a pretty painless death. Then my miracle happened. One of they guys we were with, who had been on the swim team, somehow found me, and got me to the shore. I was so out of all energy, I had to lie there in the rain and muster my last bit of life to even move.
This wave was 3 times bigger and the surfer beat a new world record in riding it.
Was it worth risking his life for??

0 comments: