BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, July 26, 2010

"Just say no..."


Now that the liberals are in charge, we're starting to hear talk of legalizing marijuana. The trial balloons are medical marijuana for some states. I have a few friends in Austin that say yes, why not? They say it's all natural, hasn't been shown to cause cancer (yet), and has been around awhile (see Indian peace pipes.)
Here's what I will concede. It should be illegal but not a huge felony. How about a huge fine when they are caught and we'll send it to the U.S. War on Drug campaign, which by the way, we are losing. Drugs are the bane of our society and ruining lives. All you have to do is watch Celebrity Rehab, where stars are throwing their lives and lucrative careers to drugs. Look at all of the musicians who's lives have been abruptly cut short. Yes, there are the Willie Nelson's of the world, who stay high and seem harmless (and live to an old age.) But there are also tons of heavy drug users that will tell you that they started with pot. If we legalize pot, then it becomes okay. Legal = okay. And I don't want my young teenager to think it's okay.
My Austin friends say it's the same thing as drinking. To that I say, wine was mentioned in the Bible but pot was not. Drinking in moderation is mentioned but it also says drunkards will not make heaven. (I don't make the rules, God does.) Besides, there's a whole pot culture that just wants to live high. What's the point of going through life stoned? One of my son's friends smokes pot all day and night. Like drinking, pot is still "under the influence" and effects judgment.
I will conced medical marijuana, as alcohol is mentioned in the Bible for medicinal purposes.
But I still think drugs are for sick people - only.

0 comments: