BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, December 11, 2010

"Yes, Virginia, there IS a Santa Claus..."



Growing up as the middle child, I was always trying to be older like my sister. I'd follow her around and try to do what she did. So when I was 5 years old, someone at kindergarten told me the whole Santa thing was a lie. At that age, I didn't believe it, so I decided to run it by my mother. I approached her like this, "I found out the truth about Santa, Mom" and instead of telling me there is indeed a Santa, she said, "Ok, well just keep it from your younger brother." Well, I burst into tears, and ran away. It was innocense stolen! I felt robbed! All of the people I knew still believed for many more years. The magic was gone! It felt like an alternate universe, watching it all. It was like watching a puppet show from the side with the hands. It was ruined! The magic of Christmas for a child is so wonderful. And there are lots of adults who go to a lot of trouble for kids they don't even know, so that the magic will continue.

I have gone through stages as an adult, where I thought Santa Claus might steal Jesus' thunder. But I finally figured out, that really young children don't understand salvation yet, so I would tell my children that Santa was Jesus' helper in getting gifts to all the kids. You can see him and he is friendly and loves children. Children can sense that everyone is nicer at Christmastime, and the magic is supernatural. God still needs His children to be His arms and legs and mouth, since He's a Spirit. And so Santa is indeed one of His helpers.
This world needs good news - they need The Good News. They need to see goodness and kindness. Children need to see, now more than ever, that there are things to look forward to, and there is still magic, thanks to all of us who still believe....

0 comments: