BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, December 31, 2010

Another Auld Lang Syne......


New Year's Eve! WooHoo! Ring in the New Year!

Hmmmm.... I WISH I could get excited about it. There's something about the beginning of a new year. Wipe the slate clean. Do over. Reset button. Time for people to diet or exercise more or quit smoking or quit cussing or do SOMETHING better for themselves.
And yet it starts on New Year's Eve, with most people going out and drinking too much, and staying up too late and then the next day, they are too tired or too hungover to start whatever it was that they were going to do.
Why did I always have such high expectations for New Year's eve? I think I've only had one year where it was fun, and I was in my early twenties at a party for the Longhorns before UT played in the Cottonbowl that year. So really, it was sort of coincidence that it was New Year's eve, because the hotel party was for all of the college kids (and young alumni) in for the big game.
Other than that, I've been to other hotel parties that were boring, and lots of in-home parties, which were also boring. I mean, in reality, it's "Rookie Night." You know, when all of the people come out of the woodwork and get brain-damaging drunk, and then try to drive home.
It's not even a good night to go out to eat, because all of the older folks want to do SOMETHING so they don't feel old, so almost everyone and their dog goes out to eat, and you have to wait a long time for a table.
This year we're in a drought, so fireworks are banned in most counties around here, so I do feel for the manufacturers, as they won't have a good year.
No, I think I'm just going to stay home this year and watch the ball drop in New York City, which is where the epicenter of New Year's festivities is on the entire planet. (Granted, I'm not invited to any parties, so I don't really have a choice. But then when you're single, you're either on some lame date or you're home. So... this is my life.)
Now where are those New Year's Resolutions I made? I need to add things to look forward to, to the list....

0 comments: