BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, November 15, 2012

In everything, give thanks...


Well, it's a week until Thanksgiving and I'm already feeling blue. It's been this way my entire life. Thanksgiving was just never a good holiday with my very dysfunctional family. My very difficult father had "86'd" grandparents on both sides so it was really just us, having turkey with each other. Where's the fun in that?? All the movies, television, and commercials show extended families having a delightful dinner or at least a family arguing, but rarely just the immediate family. Too, my breakups were always around Thanksgiving. There's something about going into the holidays, that if you're in a bad relationship, then somehow you decide to end it before the chestnuts roast on the open fire...
I really can't remember a good Thanksgiving. When I close my eyes, I just see lots of crying, and I'm not even much of a crier. Well, truth be told, I DO cry, it's just by myself. And when I do, I swell up like a blowfish, and look very unattractive for 4-5 hours. Too, when I cry, I can't seem to stop, so I avoid it whenever possible. My older daughter is going to Houston with her husband's family, and my son is going to Dallas with his girlfriend's family, so DD, my ex and myself will be going to my brother's house where my sister and family will be also. We always have a nice time so I don't know why I always feel doom this time of year - maybe just ghosts of Thanksgiving pasts. Too, being in the newspaper business, I always have to work the next day on Black Friday so I've never been able to hit those sales - ever. Maybe that's a blessing - I'm not sure.  And this year, for the first time in my life, the University of Texas Longhorns will not be playing the Texas Aggies over Thanksgiving.
I guess the world really IS off of it's axis...

0 comments: