BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

"Go Johnny go, go, go..."


Well, it's funny to see the media spin on the freshman quarterback for Texas A&M. Johnny Manziel, is the first freshman to be up for the Heisman, so there are all sorts of media types coming to the town I work in, which is where Johnny was quarterback in high school two years ago. (He was red-shirted last year.) And yes, while here, he was the most amazing quarterback to watch ever, so I will give him that. But today's story reads, "I don't see myself as Johnny Football, I see myself as Jonathan Manziel, small-town guy who's just extremely fortunate and extremely blessed to be playing football at A&M."
Hmmmm... that's great and all, it just doesn't jive with the guy who was here. Johnny is known all over town for being extremely cocky and arrogant, and everyone has their stories they tell. He got busted for stealing at Wal-Mart so my small town was their rival, and when we played them, our fans all had t-shirts made up making fun of that. I think it said "sticky fingers" or something like that... And just last summer, he made news in College Station (where A&M is) and got into a fight outside a bar. But you're not hearing any of those stories... No, there is always a media template, and this time it's small town boy hits the jackpot. Granted, you HAVE to be super confident to play awesome college quarterbacking, so  it's understandable. But the other point I have to make is that Johnny wasn't even from here. His dad moved him here (from Waco I think?) so he could play the last couple of years at this high school and shine. As a matter of fact, Johnny graduated early (at semester after football season) and they left town. My point is that it was calculating, not an accident. The dad had a plan and executed it, like almost all kids who uber excel sports these days. I don't want to take away from his skill and ability. And maybe this new found fame IS making him a better person.
I hope so anyway...

0 comments: