BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Swing low, sweet chariot...

It's been a rough week... mainly because my lifelong friend died, who I dated for 8 years and have known since third grade.
Sigh.
This one hit a nerve. Somehow you know (although don't like) that your parents will probably precede you in death. And you know that accidents unfortunately happen. But it's so hard when it's one of your "core." What do I mean by "core?" Well, like most people, we have a small core of people who really love us - unconditionally. They don't want something. They have our back. They accept us with our faults. They love us anyway. My mother was in that "core," and now David - he was in the core too. That's two less people on this planet who actually loved me - and there aren't that many left. And yes, I know, I'm being really self-centered to even bring it up...
The other thing - the MAIN thing bothering me? I'm afraid that David did not go to heaven. Yes, he had a big heart, and yes, he was Catholic. But he was a bad alcoholic and drank all day for the last 15 years or so. In 1 Corinthians 6: 9-12, Paul says, "Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate by perversion, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God." (New American Standard version)
When I read this, I get so terribly sad!! I did talk to David a few times about God over the years, but he believed that his baptism and Catholic upbringing would get him through the gates.
Oh, I'm hoping for a loophole....



0 comments: