BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, February 3, 2013

"You've come a long way baby"

Well, here it is - Super Bowl Sunday here in the U.S. A day of the year that is the final farewell to another season of football with the grand finale. Most Super Bowls are in the South for the good chance of good weather - places like Miami or New Orleans, where it happens to be this year. A day when the world stops rotating, and all sit down to watch the most creative 30 seconds of advertising, a half-time show looking for wardrobe malfunctions and lip syncing, and yes, maybe even a little football.
This year, as most, I don't have any "skin in the game." The 2 final teams are the San Francisco 49ers and the Baltimore Ravens. I noticed a story on how NFL cheerleader outfits have changed over the years, (see above) for the visual proof of how much our nation has changed - like you even needed someone to show you...
If you've read my blog  in the past you may have noticed that this is one of the days of the year I get SUPER down. For some, Christmas is the barometer of how far their lives are from perfect, but for me, it's the Super Bowl. When I was young, through high school and college, I had tons and tons of friends.  And, for me, friends are SUPER important. And, even through my younger years, I managed to have many friends - I guess because I was wild and crazy. Through a course of events, I eventually self destructed and when I hit rock bottom, I said, "Jesus, take the wheel," and He did, and have been on the road to recovery since DD was born.
The problem now? Now that I don't "party," I can't seem to find any friends. And, too, since I am not married, it's a couples world. I'm ALWAYS the fifth wheel - just not fitting in. And, by my own choice, I live in a small town where it's even more couples-ish and even more awkward. It's still a wonderful place to raise kids, but very lonely for a baby boomer single mom. All of DD's friend's parents are much younger, and 90% are married, and the ones that aren't still have age in common. I have been a member of 2 different churches here but somehow, I just don't fit in. Another problem is that I'm still a city girl at heart and this area is pretty rural. I didn't even know what a stock show was until I moved here, but once a year the ranch kids all "show" animals and win thousands of dollars, which helps them pay for Texas A&M. It's kind of a racket but it's been done for years, so...
Anyway. I'm not invited to any Super Bowl parties, once again, and it depresses me. It's not ANY fun to watch it alone, or have anyone to see the commercials with. I think I'm going to move when DD graduates...
Sigh.

0 comments: