BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

"Smoke on the water..."

After watching the Carnival cruise ship in the Gulf's problems, I have no desire to EVER go on one of those type of cruises... Yack. With the current crisis, the ship had an engine room fire, so the toilets are overflowing, there is limited cold water to shower with, no cell phone service, the food is going bad and with no power or air conditioning, they are sleeping in the halls on under tents on the deck which is the 'perfect storm' for crime or 'mutiny on the bounty.' And last year (or was it the year before) when that hotshot captain in Italy ran his cruise ship aground near that island, the ship was listing so far over that it must have been mayhem trying to get off. I don't know... They have never sounded fun to me anyway. It just seems like a recipe for disaster if something goes wrong. Seems like about ten years ago, there was Legionnaire's disease on one or more ships and people were dying. And then I've heard of rogue waves hitting them out in the open seas, which actually makes me panic when I think about that. I have a huge respect for the ocean. My parents had a large boat that they deepsea fished in on the summer weekends, and when you're 6-7 hours out in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico and you realize it takes that long to get back, well you just have to 'let go and let God,' as they say. One July weekend my parents were fishing way out, and some of their best friends on another large boat radio'd them, "Mayday, mayday" because their boat caught on fire. By the time my parents got there in just 10 minutes, their boat had already sunk and there were 3 men and a woman in a small life raft that wasn't working well. And this was a 60' boat! Hmmm, another time when they were getting gas at the dock, a man lit a cigarette and was blown to his death in the water. Sigh. Having grown up with boats, I have a million stories. But, as I say, I have a huge respect for the ocean, and actually all large bodies of water. But I digress.
There are cruise stories of people going missing, falling off the ship, rapes, theft, you name it. I mean, if you have a criminal way of thinking, there are endless ways on a ship in the middle of the ocean to commit your crime. So... Nothankyouverymuch. No cruises for me.
Have you seen the Poseidon Adventure??

0 comments: