BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Life's a Beach

Yes, I'm here at work and of course no one else is working... but that's how the newspaper business is. You always have to work. Period.
Sigh.
At least I have a job? WHY didn't I become a teacher like my sister and be home right now for the holidays with great benefits and great retirement?!? She gets summers off, all holidays and it's really not that hard no matter WHAT they tell you. And, how many fired teachers do you ever hear about?? Maybe on the news if they are caught having sex with a student, but other than that?? Not really.
Just read a super sad story about a Chinese slave labor camp sending a note in a Kmart Halloween novelty begging for them to give the note to the World Human Right Organization, saying that they make the equivalent of $1.61 per month, and must work 15 hour days with no time off or they face torture. Where are the Hollywood types marching about this?!?? Here's something I could agree with them on. It crosses my mind OFTEN that these Chinese slave laborers are making all of this crap for Americans, and must be wondering what our lives must be like. Maybe they too long for the freedom we have and all of the junk we buy. But the Hollywood types only do the "in" thing, like campaign for Obama, or same-sex rights, or abortion rights or whale rights.
Besides.
They are all in Aspen or Hawaii this week anyway. Looking for paparazzi to take their photos on how much fun they are having. Don't get me wrong. I wish I too were snowskiing or at the beach, frolicking about with not a care in the world. But alas. Here I sit at my sales job. On 100% commission. Listening to my boss abuse me constantly. I'm happy for them. I wish I could do that too.
Which reminds me - a few years ago my sister's good friend was King Antonio in San Antonio's Fiesta week. It is a man chosen each year from an exclusive all men's club who attends social parties every night over the week and is in parades, and represents the city. It has evolved since I was a child and now the Hispanics have El Rey Feo (the ugly king) which is a Hispanic (rich) business owner. He's sort of the anti- king... I worked for both metro papers in San Antonio, and most common folks resented the rich white King Antonio, so started giving 90% of the press to El Rey Feo. Too, the Hispanic king would raise money for needy kids, so it sounded better.
Anyway.
I tried to explain to my sister's friend that he would get a LOT more press from the Express-News if he would do fundraising for worthy causes, and specifically for needy children. I said that most employees at the paper think that King Antonio is a rich jerk, and he would have to fight that image. But he didn't listen. And he got almost no press. He impressed his Alamo Heights friends and that's it. I've noticed his men's club now does a lot more fundraising. And all of the beautiful people are "on holiday" right now.
And I'm stuck here...


0 comments: