BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, December 28, 2012

"Eat, drink and be merry?"

Thank God it's Friday... It's a full moon... and just like the hospitals, the crazies come to newspapers on the full moon as well. They call newspapers like we are Directory Assistance. Old people will call and ask questions or for phone numbers or super weird stuff. And a guy just came in to tell us a water pipe broke at his house.
Anyway.
I'm noticing that when I talk to my clients and even friends,  they are all saying they aren't listening to the news any more. At least for a while... And these are regular news people. (sigh) I'm kind of the same way. This last election has done most of us in. We realize there really is nothing we can do. It's like the boy who called 'Wolf.' Since Bush was president in 2008 we've been hearing that there will be a financial collapse. Then stimulus after stimulus. Fear and gnashing of teeth. And now there's the "Fiscal Cliff." WHO FREAKING CARES?!? Blah blah blah. Certainly our elected politicians don't care. And definitely our president doesn't care. They know THEY will be just fine thankyouverymuch. They are all "on holiday." The prez has been in Hawaii playing golf. They really could care less. Everyone is putting on blinders because there is nothing that one person can do.
And news, by nature, is depressing because only bad news sells. And the news is scary. Cannabalism. Gang rapes. Cutting babies out of pregnant women. Facebook suspends accounts of gun proponents. US soldiers suicides outnumber combat deaths for 2012. Scared parents impose (toy) gun control. Congress extends wireless wiretapping program. Woman pushes stranger in front of NYC subway. And that's just today...
I'm still just watching Hallmark sappy holiday movies at home and nothing more. The shows are all just reruns, and even late night are reruns. (Come to think of it, I should call Time Warner Cable and tell them I don't want to pay for half the month, since it's all reruns.) It's hard to hold on to hope. I mean, I know, as a Christian, that God will take care of me, but... evil controls this world and it's getting worse. My old pastor used to say, how are we exempt? Most of Jesus' disciples died horrible deaths as martyrs.
I don't know...
My grown son is watching 80's movies, and tells me that even he sees how much things have gotten worse. My grown daughter says she is only listening to 90's music since it's nostalgic for her and helps her forget her financial woes. And my 15 year old doesn't realize how different our country is since the year she was born. We are losing freedoms quickly and have become something we never thought possible. I'm praying that 2013 will be better than this year. I'm praying I will have a better attitude with it all. And I'm asking God for the strength to endure.
Because we must...



0 comments: