BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, January 22, 2012

"If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take..."


Just read about a new Facebook app called, "If I die," in which the Facebook user will be given the opportunity to post one last message or video on the site after their death. Three 'trustees' selected by the customer during their lifetime will have to verify the death before anything is broadcast. Nobody - not even those at the company - will be able to see what has been recorded until then. The app's website suggests that messages could be "your life story, a secret you haven't shared before or even a will."

As I've thought about this, most older people are not on Facebook, but this might become popular as the Facebooker's age. I'm wondering if a Facebook will would hold up in court? I'm wondering if the Facebook app will would trump a written will? I'm wondering if this will be the note that people who commit suicide will use? I guess I'm just wondering a lot of things. I think it actually might be a good idea although macabre. But my dad used to always say, "We're all going to die some day," even though none of us want to hear that.
I've often thought that funerals are way too boring and that final videos from the deceased should be played saying how much they loved everyone and thanks for coming. The Facebook video could be copied and played there. My mother had a beautiful, rich friend named Rosetta, who planned a music fest as she was dying of cancer, and had musicians of all kinds of music including New Orleans jazz and Scottish bagpipes, play a mini-concert for her funeral. I've always thought we Baby Boomers would blaze a new trail of how our senior years would be, and even of our passing.
Maybe this idea is the start of just that very thing...

0 comments: