BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, May 9, 2011

"Nothing but heaven itself is better than a friend who is really a friend."


This is an unusual blog - I think - because I'm all over the map in terms of what I choose to write about. Honestly, each day, I try to write about what I feel the most passionate about. What evokes the most emotion. And today I am most passionate about what DD is going through at school. As a matter of fact, our entire family has listened to the ups and downs this entire school year, and we're all ready for junior high to be over!! And her looking for a good, decent friend reminds me of the Bible story about Abraham asking God to spare Sodom and Gomorrah if there were only 50 righteous men, 45? 40? 30? 20? 10? But alas, there were not... There just don't seem to be any girls who aren't just out for themselves. She can't find ONE good friend that has her back. Not ONE. Is it just the area we live in?? Her older brother thinks the kids these days have "gone feral," since they have been raising themselves. Her older sister thinks we should move to another city since she will just go to high school with the same kids. My thoughts? I think kids are the same everywhere...

Just listen to the news - all of the bullying... it's out of control. And Alex says Tina Fey's new book discusses the fact that girls these days only compete against each other and don't back each other up. In my day, at least your close circle of friends would, for the most part, support you in almost everything. These days it's every man for himself. We were joking yesterday (on Mother's Day) that kids these days are like "Lord of the Flies" or even "Survivor." Even at church, the kids are goth. Yes, goth. Go figure...
I think... I think that competition has run amuck in the United States. Everybody is competing to be #1 and are willing to do ANYTHING to get there. Don't get me wrong, I'm a competitive person myself. I like to be the best I can be. I strive for excellence. But not at the expense of others. I challenge my children to do the same. I want them to be happy, that's my goal. I want them to do what makes them happy, whatever that is. And DD just wants some nice girls to hang out with. That's it.
I've noticed that there are 2 older girls in high school that are some of the sweetest girls in town, and both have been cheerleaders, but they don't have any good friends. It's like the really nice ones just don't fit in. It truly is like one of these teen angst movies with all the bullies.
And I just wonder, will it ever get better here?

0 comments: