BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Take this job and shove it...

There's a story in the news today that only 30% of Americans "are engaged or inspired at work."
This does not surprise me.
Gone are the days when I was younger, and there were enough people at a job where you could actually have a sick day or a vacation without feeling guilty that someone was having to do their job and yours too. Yes, granted, that has always been the case, but for many years, when someone quits, is fired or retired, no one was hired to replace them, and the work was just incorporated for everyone to add to their current responsibilities. By now, everyone that is left in this 'musical chairs' game of jobs, is doing at least three people's jobs, that 30 years ago was not the case. That's why you see when they say that even the "perks" don't really make a difference.
WE'RE ALL TIRED!!
Without trying to sound cliche, we're all overworked and underpaid. And THAT is an understatement! My poor co-worker walked out under duress last week crying, saying, "I quit." And she's not coming back. My boss kicked that dead horse one too many times. This was my favorite co-worker. Who was devoted and loyal and talented and personable and funny. My boss should have begged her to come back and offered her a raise because it will take three full-time employees to do what she did. She was the graphic artist for our newspaper, she ran the advertising agency part of our company, and she ran the printing part of the business. But she finally had it. My boss wouldn't even let her take a lunch. She had to eat at her desk. And my boss had taken away extra benefits lately like going to local charity parties for the company. My boss wouldn't let her take an entire week off ever, only 3 days at a time since she did so much. She took complete advantage of her, and if we ever briefly talked, she yelled at both of us. She reads all of our emails and stalks our Facebook. For me personally, she had promised 15% commission on all ads in the paper, but in actuality when it got too high, she took away about a third of the accounts and pays herself on those so I won't make too much money.
Well, my co-worker does not have another job to go to, but she walked out and she's not coming back. Most bosses make sure they and their families are just fine, and keep whipping their horses in a frenzy for more money. I get threatened all the time that if I don't sell enough, then she will fire me. I just look at her and say I am working much harder and much longer than I ever have, and if she doesn't like my work, she can fire me. Now she's threatening hiring another rep so that my pay will be cut in half. And she's admitted to others that she does that sort of thing so she doesn't have to pay unemployment.
Well evidently she is not alone, and there are hundreds of thousands of other small business owners doing the same thing. And many are only hiring at 30 hours or under so they don't have to pay for health insurance.
At what point did we lose sanity???



0 comments: