BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Men are from Mars...

There are so many subjects I want to post about... but today I'm trying to "coach" DD on the subject of men... (sigh) It's more of a "do what I say, and not what I did" sort of counsel because CLEARLY I am single and have done it all wrong for years. But I've seen what works with the few happily married couples that I know, and I combine that with basically just doing the right thing always, and try to talk her into doing that. She's a sophomore and her boyfriend is a senior, and this is her first boyfriend but this is his fourth or fifth girlfriend... They've been dating for four months, and evidently most of his relationships have only lasted four months, with only one lasting six months. He isn't as affectionate now, nor is he as interested, so she's pretty blue over it all. All he says now is, "I'm tired," when they get together and doesn't make time for her anymore, choosing his best friend over her even on weekends. And yes, it doesn't sound good to me either...
Part of me wants to tell her to play hard to get, and play the games that challenge guys. Or to make him jealous, because that usually works if they have ANY interest at all. But then I think, who wants to play games any way? It's all so effort-full, and there are no guarantees either will work. DD has said the girls in the past that have pulled back when he has, have lost the relationship.
I've told her that guys in their senior year get a little cocky with the whole "Big man on campus" mentality, when they are finally King of the Hill. And there's nothing she can do about that. AND, her boyfriend is probably the cutest guy in her whole school, so tons of girls are flirting shamelessly with him. DD is such a GOOD person, much better than me. And with no siblings at home, she just doesn't have a mean bone in her body, as she's never really learned to argue or compete with anyone, at least at home. She's never had the "killer instinct" at sports for those very reasons. So she says she just keeps a smile on her face at school, when inside, she is falling apart.
As her mother, it's so hard to watch. Even though it "ain't my first rodeo" in the arena of raising kids, it never gets any easier to watch them learn, grow and suffer with life's lessons. I want to call him and ball him out, which of course I would never do. I get mad and say some bad words and try to get out my frustration, but it's maddening. And I want to tell her it gets easier, but it really doesn't...
Tonight I told her of a couple that in know, whom she knows, that I said are one of the few happily married couples I know. She was surprised since this guy is a whiner, and a baby, and well, sort of a dufus. But I told her that his wife somehow thinks she's got "the prize." I honestly thought they were both on their second marriage when I met them two years ago, since they acted like newly marrieds. But they've been married 25 years, and still want to be physical like it's their first year of marriage. And she babies him, and makes him his favorite dinners nightly, and acts like it's their last night together every night. And it works for her. And him. Go figure.
I'll never understand men. And maybe I just don't want to any way. It takes
Too. much. energy.
I'm tired...


0 comments: