BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, September 12, 2013

To the world you may be person, but to one person you may be the world.

Every day I have a 30 minute commute to a larger town to go to work. It's a country highway and is beautiful. There was fog this morning, and the roads were slicker than I've ever seen them. I had to slow way down, as I was sliding a lot. Halfway on my commute, I came around a bend and was the fifth car behind a head-on collision. There was smoke and a few were getting out of their cars. I called 911, as most around me did. I got out and starting running to the worst vehicle, and thank God a nurse was in front of me.  There was a man in his forties in an old Ford Ranger truck, and it was "pancaked around him." He was unconscious,  and the nurse said she would hold his head since he was pinned in and partially hanging out of the truck. The other vehicle was a truck too with two young electricians pinned in, but conscious. I started praying for the first guy, and it seemed an eternity. Later, the nurse told me she had young children, and could I go check on them and stay with them. Her 6 month old baby was crying, so I got him out and bounced him, and I stood in the mayhem. By this time, at least 40 cars were on the side of the road. It took the DPS, FD and EMT's 20 minutes to get there. They had to unpin "our" guy and  worked on him, but finally gave up and put the sheet over his head. Meanwhile, it took longer to get the other two out of their truck, and the Air Flight helicopter had been called.
It's all so sobering... My huge disappointment was that I was one of only FOUR people who got out to help. Everyone else stayed in their cars. It was a long 20 minutes before any emergency workers arrived, and it was eerily quiet.
I often pray that I won't come up on a wreck because it freaks me out, and there are so many bad wrecks on these country roads. But lately I've prayed that if God wanted me to, I would pray for someone as they were dying.
Today I had that chance...

0 comments: