BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, March 21, 2011

"Wish you were here..."


I am glad Spring Break is over... It's a painful week of listening to my child rant that we didn't go somewhere fun like all of her friends. Or so it seems... And Facebook just rubs it in with photos to show everyone else how cool or how rich they are. We live in a tourist town where there are the definite 'haves' and 'havenots.' The 'haves' went to Costa Rica, ski trip to Idaho, the Texas beach - and I have seen their photos on Facebook proving it. Then there were the moms with cushy jobs like teacher, who all went to the lake together and had the posed photos of evidence. And then there were other moms who took off part of the week and went to visit family in other towns just to get away and then had a day for Fiesta Texas - Six Flags and another for shopping.

So yes, I'm feeling sorry for myself that I only have one measly week off a year plus have to work all Monday holidays. One of my daughter's friend's mom is a Spanish teacher, and she was lamenting last night that she was sad that school was starting back today. It was all I could do to not want to yell at her that she's got a cushy job with all holidays off and summer off, and that she actually gets to SEE her children. She bitches all the time, yet has a wonderful circle of friends from school, good hours, good benefits and all holidays. She ought to be happy with what she has...
My daughter went to work with me for 2 days, and I dropped her off at the movies by herself on those days. On Wednesday, she hung with friends until they ditched her to hang with each other. On Thursday she had oral surgery on her teeth, which are in the top 10 worst cases that he's ever seen. And on Friday, one of her friend's moms took her and 2 friends to Fiesta Texas which was so overly crowded that they waited FOUR hours to ride the Rattler roller coaster. ugh...
Having grown up with a cushy life but not having one now, I often am miserable with the comparison. I make a constant effort to be happy with what I have, because I know things can always be a thousand times worse. I need to be thankful for what I do have and stop comparing myself to those who are on easy street.
If it wasn't for that darn Facebook...

0 comments: