BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, March 4, 2011

"Can't Buy Me Love"

Forty-five years ago today -- March 4, 1966, the Beatles were each interviewed for a series of profiles in London's "The Evening Standard." John Lennon had discussed his 'meaningless' possessions and his taste in music (Indian music), and then moved on to what he had been reading. He had an interest in history, and in particular, the history of religion. He said he sensed that Christianity, like other religions, had contributed good ideas, but that something else would eventually replace it too. He added, "Christianity will go... It will vanish and shrink." As his proof, he added that currently the Beatles were "more popular than Jesus."

I didn't even know about this quote until this past year, but I DO know that I'm one of very few in my generation of Baby Boomers that doesn't like the Beatles. Yes, I liked some of their music, but not the Beatles, and specifically could not stand John Lennon. And I blame the Beatles for being a terrible influence on my generation by ushering in drugs for recreational use.
Drugs are the bane of our society... When I was young, there were no drugs in schools and the worst thing that kids did were smoke cigarettes and raid their parent's liquor cabinet. And NOW look at the schools... It's taken on a life of it's own. And the musicians and movie stars continue to glamourize it, and people like Charlie Sheen, a crackhead, are revered by the college age. The drug business has grown to such an extent that the drug cartels have taken over many countries on this planet... They are in the process with Mexico as we speak.
Most Boomers resent it when I say this since the Beatles bring back a nostalgic time of their lives, but if they really think about it, they see that it's the truth.
"Yesterday -- all my troubles seemed so far away, now it looks as though they're here to stay,
oh I believe in yesterday..."

0 comments: