BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

"All's fair in love and war?"

Just got off the phone with my business partner. Her father was murdered when she was young and she has been raised as an only child by a mother who never really recovered after that event. Money is tight and has always been a struggle for her. She married a man who was raised in the foster home system since his mother was/still is a crack mom living in Austin. He's a good man but has never had many opportunities.
Anyway.
Her daughter is a freshman at the public school in her neighboring town, and is super athletic so plays volleyball. We were just discussing what a RACQUET it is in my town and hers. These volleyball coaches (and yes, it is also true in baseball, tennis and golf) run these "clubs" called "Select" in off-season, and they charge between $1,000 and $2,000 per kid for those kids to be in these "clubs." And the only way to make the team each year is if you play on these club teams. It's how they pad their incomes, and no school will stop it or stand up to them.
So my business partner's husband just had scary, life-threatening surgery, and currently his mouth is wired shut (it's a long, depressing story, but I'll spare you.) He has not been able to work for the last 4 weeks, and money is beyond tight. My partner tried to scrape up the $1,000 for her daughter to play on the select team, but they only chose the kids that could pay the $2,000. I think she should go to the superintendent and put a stop to this clear breach of sanity that borders on illegality.
I expect this from private schools, as the ones around here, the parents pay for their kids to do whatever they want, but I DON'T expect it from public schools where it's supposed to be equitable and fair. I think the schools look the other way to keep the coaches, and everybody knows what's going on but they don't choose to fight those battles.
It's like when my daughter DD (who is a senior) started this school. The first week several of her teachers just put in movies for them to watch instead of teaching and I called the principal. He was a good-old boy who kind of laughed, and said (about her Spanish class) "Well, at least it was in Spanish!" Ugh... She took two years of Spanish and learned NOTHING yet made A's. Having grown up in San Antonio, I will say simple words in Spanish, yet she has no idea what I'm saying. But I digress.
The public school system is so completely corrupt there is no hope. And the private schools are worse, as they only depend on whoever is subsidizing them...
Is NOTHING fair any more???


0 comments: